Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New User

Default Can't find a job because I'm fluent in English Only, Help!

Besides the obvious economy issues with getting a job, that's hard enough, I can not get a job in Miami because a lot of people want you to be BILINGUAL in both english and SPANISH. I speak fluent english and know some spanish (took 7 years in school) but not enough to please employers in Miami. I moved with my boyfriend to Dade county (miami) from Broward county (ft. lauderdale) and I have NEVER in my life had any language barriers to overcome just to get a job!

I'm going on my 6th month of being unemployed and I'm going crazy. The jobs I'm looking for are for example general office jobs receptionists etc. And I get discouraged because all the job posts for monster.com and careerbuilder.com all say BILINGUAL A MUST! or ENGLISH/SPANISH ONLY! it's soooo annoying.

so if any of you know of any places in Miami (kendall area) along the lines of office work or retail work that do not require you to be BILINGUAL please let me know.

and are there any of you out there who have had or currently have the same problem as I do?

Thanks!

Gus
    Somewhere between South Beach and South Miami

Hi, jennuine, welcome to MiamiBeach411. We're hiring. Do you speak Spanish? Just kidding. Sorry. Couldn't resist. Perhaps it's your harsh red text bringing out the devil in me.

We're happy to help you find a job.

In addition to being fluent in English, what are your skills?

What is your background?

What are your interests?

Are you searching Craigslist?

Do you have a car?

Would you do data entry for $10?

What's been your favorite job you ever had?

Where do you hope to be in 5 years?

Please tell us about yourself.

Yeah. That is the biggest problem I had findgin "real" jobs in Miami. Why the majority of my employment there was in the service industry and gyms. Its quite ridiculous but, like so many ridiculous things in this city, a sad reality of life. Gus is right, though, you CAN find jobs without speaking Spanish, but it is difficult. Especially becasue most of the people doing the hiring are Spanish-speaking. My advice? Maybe commute to Broward. But know that you are not alone in your frustrations, as many of us English speakers have run into the same problems.

Hi there,

Have you looked into being a hostess at one of the MANY restaurants or lounges?? How about working at a Spa as a receptionist? I think you can probably get away with not speaking Spanish around the Ocean Dr. area.
    I know not all people there are bilingual. I've been to Miami several times, and have noticed a new influx of European women doing these types of jobs lately.

Overall, yes, being bilingual definetely helps out. While you search for a job, try to practice Spanish by watching Spanish tv or free online training websites. I know it's hard... (I've had to learn several languages while growin up) however this is the direction the world is moving into...the more languages you know the more opportunities out there. I would continue to study Spanish if I were you.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by DFrezza
    Hi there,

Have you looked into being a hostess at one of the MANY restaurants or lounges?? How about working at a Spa as a receptionist? I think you can probably get away with not speaking Spanish around the Ocean Dr. area.
    I know not all people there are bilingual. I've been to Miami several times, and have noticed a new influx of European women doing these types of jobs lately.

Overall, yes, being bilingual definetely helps out. While you search for a job, try to practice Spanish by watching Spanish tv or free online training websites. I know it's hard... (I've had to learn several languages while growin up) however this is the direction the world is moving into...the more languages you know the more opportunities out there. I would continue to study Spanish if I were you.
    thanks for the advice. I have taken 7 years of spanish in school so I already know alot and my boyfriend is hispanic and often teaches me new things, but employers want someone who doesn't have to think about what they are going to say or are quick to respond. even if I continue to learn, this will always be the case until I have covered spanish as a whole. which could take years, as I have already taken 7 years in school and I still have much to learn.

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Hi, jennuine, welcome to MiamiBeach411. We're hiring. Do you speak Spanish? Just kidding. Sorry. Couldn't resist. Perhaps it's your harsh red text bringing out the devil in me.

We're happy to help you find a job.

In addition to being fluent in English, what are your skills?

What is your background?

What are your interests?

Are you searching Craigslist?

Do you have a car?

Would you do data entry for $10?

What's been your favorite job you ever had?

Where do you hope to be in 5 years?

Please tell us about yourself.
    thank you for the info about craigslist, i have already sent resumes out to 21 offices and businesses. I hope to hear from someone now. I wish I would have known about this sooner.

Hello. A lot of the ads on craigslist in the admin section are fake. I have stopped looking there all together for the miami area. In New York craigslist is awesome but not so for Miami. Please don't get your hopes up with that site. You will see, they will send you spam, etc. I have already put in 3 complaints to craigslist for allowing this.

Hi. I wanted to ask one question. Do you have a college degree? I am curious because I am planning on moving to Miami and also don't speak Spanish. I am beginning to think it may not be a good idea.

Hi - most (the majority of) jobs that have answering phones as a main responsibility are going to require bilingualism because whoever answers the phones needs to be able to talk to whoever's calling - and in Miami, there's a good chance that person may not speak English. And since companies are in the business of making money, they're not willing to lose a potential client because their receptionist couldn't understand them. It sucks, but it's ultimately about the money (or potential for it).

That said, in my immediate circle (family and co-workers), I know of at least a couple dozen people (my husband among them) who are not Hispanic and don't speak Spanish and all have professional jobs. They have college degrees and had no problems finding work. So I don't think it's impossible.

Tere, if your theory is true, why do a lot of companies hire people who dont speak ENGLISH? I know, I know, there goes Matt on another one of his xenophobic rants, but serisouly, if you are in fact in the business of making money, wouldn'y you want that small minority of non-Spanish pseakers to be able to talk to your people too? I've called plenty of places where I'm put on hold until they find someone who speaks at least broken English. Should realy work both ways.

I don't disagree with you, Matt, it should work both ways. Those who choose not to hire English speakers only miss out on potential business and are very small-minded. I don't know why they make that choice, nor do I defend it.

My theory is that the peoepl doing the hiring prioritize speaking spanish ahead of English, for whatever reason. This is why communication gets realyl hard in Miami, becasue a lot of businesses with large numbers of spanish-speaking clientele do that. But maybe thats what the market offers them, who knows. I'd love to see acost-benefit analysis of how much you save by hiring someone who doesn't speak english vs. what it costs you in lost business.

Suzanne C

A lot of the ads on craigslist in the admin section are fake.
    ...I responded to MB411's ad on Craigslist for this great job!!!!

Honestly jennuine, I'm not surprised to hear that you're having difficulties although I'm am VERY sorry to hear of it.

Doing a little research, I was surprised to find that there is no official language in the US and that English is only the defacto language based on it's widespread usage...ergo, the popular language is "it" by default.

I guess the same applies here!

You may want to try the phone company on Kendall Driver and 117th Ave (behind ToysRUs). They can't DISCRIMINATE against you based on your native language.

It really irks me because there are many elders in the Cuban community who preach of how difficult the Americans made it for them when they arrived because of the language barrier. You can't even chalk it up to irony- it's just wrong and hypocritical.

(and now my mother will call me a Cubana arrepentida tonight again as well...)

I had a bunch of bad problems with craigslist. Perhaps it is only my bad luck but just definitely don't let it get your hopes up when you see the admin ads that are stating you can make in the $60K's because those are the ones I had trouble with. Just be weary.
    I am really curious if having a college degree makes up a bit for not speaking Spanish. I would hate to make a move there and then have the same problem Jennuine is having. It could be scary.

Suzy, I know there was some big blog debate about that dergoatroy term your mom was going to call you (do'nt have your post in fornt of me here and don't want to look like an idiot typing it wrong) but I always wondered why that was considered an insult? Like, the Cubans I met in Miami that I realyl liked were all the super assimilated ones who complained how nobody spoke English and generally moved to Broward and bought pickup trucks as soon as they were able. They also thought my blog was hilarious. my point is why is it considerd a bad thing in Cuban culture to be assimilated? I know that is way off topic here, but that's always bothered me. Like wouldn't assimilation ease the whole cross-cultural tension and make life easier for everybody?

Matt, You are absolutely right. But I think the problem with Miami is that there are many "foreign born" people who live here. The first, and second, etc. generation are assimilated into the American way of life while still maintaining their Latin roots, which is how it should be. Since there are a lot of Latin immigrants coming to this "evil imperialist" country *sarcasm*, that's what you're going to have. Once these immigrants' children are born and raised in America, you will see more Miamians who speak English just as well as the speak Spanish. Miami has a pretty prominent financial district in Miami. I also think that the job competition is tough, like any major city.

To the original poster... a hostess job will probably be your best bet for now. As long as you look good and carry yourself well, you should do fine. What's your scholastic and work background? Since I don't know it, I can't advise any further.

Gus

Hi, Tommy, welcome to MiamiBeach411. Thanks for jumping in.

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meltzer
    Suzy, I know there was some big blog debate about that dergoatroy term your mom was going to call you [...] but I always wondered why that was considered an insult?
    I Googled [Cubana arrepentida] and this is what I found...

"She's what we call a cubana arrepentida or literally a regretful Cuban. It's kind of the same principle as a self-hating Jew."
    Is that what Cubana arrepentida means? I don't know because I'm fluent in English only.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Hi, Tommy, welcome to MiamiBeach411. Thanks for jumping in.
    Thanks Gus. Glad to be here. This is a great site and very informative!!!

New User

Quote Originally Posted by Seret
    Hi. I wanted to ask one question. Do you have a college degree? I am curious because I am planning on moving to Miami and also don't speak Spanish. I am beginning to think it may not be a good idea.
    no I do not. I was actually thinking about getting my associates in administration but I think that would be a waste of time seeing that I will still have the language barrier holding me back. I've decided to do something in medical. I would fully look into possible job opportunities before moving down here. Like start appliying to jobs in miami area so you might have potential jobs lined up when you move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast