Miami Beach 411
Like what you see? Let's talk about how
we can help your vacation --> Contact Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Florida Cities Full of Unhappy People

Cool Florida Cities Full of Unhappy People

That's the bad news. The good news is that you can get on cruise ship and get festive. Miami is not the the saddest, but it's pretty darn close...

100. St. Petersburg, FL F
    99. Detroit, MI F
    98. Memphis, TN F
    97. Tampa, FL F
    96. Louisville, KY F
    95. St. Louis, MO F
    94. Birmingham, AL F
    93. Miami, FL F

If you want to have fun everyday go to these places...

10. Plano, TX A-
    9. Burlington, VT A-
    8. St. Paul, MN A-
    7. Sioux Falls, SD A-
    6. Madison, WI A-
    5. Boston, MA A-
    4. Omaha, NE A
    3. Fargo, ND A
    2. Manchester, NH A
    1. Honolulu, HI A+

http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/frown-towns

I was in Miami today and it was very sad but some people seem to be looking to chat, something I have experienced in a long time. Perhaps it was because I showed up with an eccentric bike, but it was kind of rewarding anyway.

What does it take to be happy? The article cites GREEN --something I agree with-- as well as people and bikes. Some people though may just take a chill pill.

Default Re: Florida cities are sad

Miami is just so damn frustrating that people are always pissed about something. Probably a lot to do with the horrendous customer service we receive.

My love for Miami is starting to wane recently. I am done always having to argue for things with stupid sales people/ medical receptionists/ dentist offices. Hawaii sounds pretty awesome at this point. Failing that, I'd take no. 2, New Hampshire.
    Blackford Oakes likes this.

Default Re: Florida Cities Full of Unhappy People

San Diego is also a pretty happy city. I'd probably still be there, if I could afford a decent apartment.

Miami 93??mmh...I don't believe this statistic..
    everytime I visited Miami, I noted that the people are more friendly, more happy than Swiss, Germany or and in some case more than Italy.

I'm speaking about Miami Beach..I don't know how it is in Miami Dade

Hi Toni, I'm glad you feel that way! I think Miami's main issue is that since people are coming in from all over, it makes it hard to have a true sense of community. But it also makes it easier to just be yourself, so it's a double-edged sword!

Seen Boston on the list of happy places to live and laughed.. I live 1hr from Boston and take my word for it ,it sucks.. Cloudy rainy days most of the time,and pot holes every where... The only nice thing about Boston is it's Logan Airport.. When I go to the airport I'm happy cause I'm usually on a flight out to another state like Florida..
    Matt Meltzer likes this.

Boston's got a lot of neat history and such a large population of young educated student-types. That's appealing. The only meanness I remember encountering there was when I got some ribs at Durgin Park. But the waitresses are supposed to be mean; it's part of their shtick.

It's important to remember that a lack of hostility does not equate a happy place, though. Many spots on the map would qualify for the comatose category.
    GandJ likes this.

Yes there are educated people there for part of the year, but they are segregated from the actual residence; Bostonains.. One things ya have to be cultured to enjoy the history .. Plymouth Rock is nice ,but gets old real quick.. I love Plymouth plantations but many find this part of history boring.. The fun things about Boston are ,Red Sox ,Celtics, and the Bruins..

Quote Originally Posted by moltobene View Post
    Seen Boston on the list of happy places to live and laughed.. I live 1hr from Boston and take my word for it ,it sucks.. Cloudy rainy days most of the time,and pot holes every where... The only nice thing about Boston is it's Logan Airport.. When I go to the airport I'm happy cause I'm usually on a flight out to another state like Florida..
    I thought "The Dig" was to cure a;; that.

Kidding and weather aside. it's still one of my favorite revelan cities. For the record, Miami is not relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Boston's got a lot of neat history and such a large population of young educated student-types. That's appealing. The only meanness I remember encountering there was when I got some ribs at Durgin Park. But the waitresses are supposed to be mean; it's part of their shtick.

It's important to remember that a lack of hostility does not equate a happy place, though. Many spots on the map would qualify for the comatose category.

Totally agree with Doug.
    Moltobene - You're looking at it from a tourist's perspective. Yes, Miami is great for tourists. Also, shitty weather doess not necessarily mean unhappiness..... or else most Scandanavians would be depressed. On the contrary, they're a pretty happy group.

Gotta love that Boston is the only city to have a national champion in all four of the "big 4" (baseball, hockey, football, and basketball) within the past 4 years.

The one thing I don't like about Boston is it's probably the most racist city in the U.S. that I've been in. It's a not an outright blatant racism (like the old south was), but there is a pervasive bigotry against blacks and hispanics, and it especially seems to be practiced in the old ethnic Irish, Italian, French-Canadien, Jewish, and Portuguese neighborhoods ... and those ethnic neighorhoods are all over the place.
    Boston and many of it's burbs are very segregated.

Glenn
    Last edited by GandJ; 12-01-2011 at 11:03 PM.

I never compared Miami to Boston .. I believe every major city has it's issues,I just believe Boston had more negatives then lead to believe by some magazines.... Right now I'm not to proud to be living in my little state of R.I... Our so called GOV. Lincoln Chafee has declared our state house Christmas tree a (holiday tree)... How messed up is that???
    Blackford Oakes likes this.

@Doug:

Exactly this is true. It is very easy to be your self. So I can't believe that Miami is a city of Unhappy people.
    I saw so many other city that you can really see unhappy people. As opposed to Miami (Miami Beach)

Last week I spoke with a colleague about Miami. She loves miami too and she told me about the people that they are always frienldy and so much easy (in positive sense)

but as I told you, I don't know how it is in the other site of Miami..

Hi Toni, I'm glad you feel that way! I think Miami's main issue is that since people are coming in from all over, it makes it hard to have a true sense of community. But it also makes it easier to just be yourself, so it's a double-edged sword!
    Perfect observation ! Miami is just too influenced by outsiders. The locals I've totally discounted, It's just not their say ....

This is an interesting issue.
    Most people usually say that people are angry and depressed by the humidity which blocks the brain from creativity. Thats why all the nice universitys are up north were you can be intellectual and all that...
    But then you have Honolulu at nr. 1 and San Diego up high.

These places are also warm! As hell!
    And they thrive!

Another example is Australia. They are one of the most vibrant economies there is.

Some might explain this with culture. Honolulu is asian, Australia is homogenous white while Miami is central american/african-american... But I dont know... Is it really that easy?

If Miami would have been the Pittsburgh of the south, would we thrive and be the best city in the US? I dunno...
    Speak your mind.

(And please, no PC-BS / liberal stuff. Let's try to have a sane discussion without clichés)

Quote Originally Posted by moltobene View Post
    I never compared Miami to Boston .. I believe every major city has it's issues,I just believe Boston had more negatives then lead to believe by some magazines.... Right now I'm not to proud to be living in my little state of R.I... Our so called GOV. Lincoln Chafee has declared our state house Christmas tree a (holiday tree)... How messed up is that???
    Have you been living under a rock?
    Liberals have been de-christenized Christmas for a long time now. Cause you know, if you're not a christian, you get super-offended by the word "Christmas Tree"...

Ok, I doubt very much that Fargo, S.D. is a happier place than Miami. You do realize that half of these lists are done by journalists (who are clueless).

@ Glenn, Denmark was declared happiest nation by some polls, but Sweden does have one of the highest suicide rates.

Yes the Christmas tree story is really a different issue all together,just stating how unhappy I am as well as many others are in our little state of Rhode Island.. Then again out beautiful state isn't even on either of the list..Wonder why??<------(sarcasm)..

1776, I'm deeply offended by your blatant use of the word "Christmas." Please say "Holiday Season" is all future posts or I will report you to a moderator.

That said, I think you may be on to something. Diversity sucks. It's stressful and creates communication issues, so it does make sense that places where it's fairly homogenous would be happier.

Fargo? I dunno about that.

Everyone in Boston is nice and happy. When I went there I was at a bar waiting for a table for lunch and we met 4 girls who invited us out on a boat in Boston Harbor, where everybody was really welcoming and friendly. Gave us drinks. Let us hang out on the boat all day. And everyone I met was smiling and friendly for the whole weekend. And white. And educated. It was awesome. It was also four days after the Bruins won the Stanley Cup. So that MIGHT have had something to do with it.

And my Boston friends are far and away the most racist of any of my transplanted groups. They were at a Sox Spring Training game last year and kept yelling "Boston is a Racsit town!" at the center fielder (forgot his name) and he tipped his hat back at them. It was quite comical.

I also read this heavily factored in unemployment and pill use. Well, shit, of COURSE Florida came out on top. Factor in foreclosures and we'd be untouchable.

1776, the reason "liberals" make such a stink about government-funded Christmas displays is because they, along with civil libertarians in general, support the separation of church and state. Freedom of religion and freedom from religion. As Thomas Jefferson once wrote,

[When] the [Virginia] bill for establishing religious freedom ... was finally passed, ... a singular proposition proved that its protection of opinion was meant to be universal. Where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the word "Jesus Christ," so that it should read "a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion." The insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend within the mantle of its protection the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination.
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, 1821

If the government endorses any religion over another, it leaves out everyone who doesn't practice that religion.

Why should an atheist's or a Hindu's tax dollars go to support a Christian holiday? It's a different issue if we're talking about an individual's right to free speech, but the government shouldn't be funding religious displays with public tax dollars.

1776, the reason "liberals" make such a stink about government-funded Christmas displays is because they, along with civil libertarians in general, support the separation of church and state. Freedom of religion and freedom from religion. As Thomas Jefferson once wrote,

[When] the [Virginia] bill for establishing religious freedom ... was finally passed, ... a singular proposition proved that its protection of opinion was meant to be universal. Where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the word "Jesus Christ," so that it should read "a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion." The insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend within the mantle of its protection the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo and infidel of every denomination.
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, 1821

If the government endorses any religion over another, it leaves out everyone who doesn't practice that religion.

Why should an atheist's or a Hindu's tax dollars go to support a Christian holiday? It's a different issue if we're talking about an individual's right to free speech, but the government shouldn't be funding religious displays with public tax dollars.
    With that same reason, why should I be paying for someone's abortion ? Why am I coerced to help pay for something I believe is murder and against my principles.

It's all about taking everything in stride Doug. A public Xmas tree ain't going to kill you. MAJORITY RULES !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast